Welcome all to Unit 1!
In this unit there is a welcome forum where you can introduce yourself and tell us a few things about you. Reply to your classmates so you get to know them better!
It's now time to participate in the blog task where there are two exercises activated there for you, share your opinions with your classmates.
step3 you may also check the documents to have the powerpoint in front of you
Let's now recapitulate a few things we did in class last time...
"Wilbur and Orville Wright invented the first aeroplane in USA in 1903"
"While the boys were growing up, they were repairing and fixing things"
PAST SIMPLE AND PAST CONTINUOUS
1. PAST SIMPLE-ΑΟΡΙΣΤΟΣ
-for an action which happened in the past
-for a repeated action in the past
-for actions which happened in the past one after the other
Form of regular verbs: verb + ed suffix
e.g play - played
negative form - did not or didn't + verb
-For actions which continued for some time in the past, but whose exact limits are not known or are not important
-for a longer action which was happening when a shorter action interrupted it permanently(the verb that describes the shorter action is in the Simple Past Tense
- for two or more actions which were happening in the past at the same time
form: was/were + verb with -ing suffix e.g was playing
Fill in the blanks using the correct form of Past Simple and Past Continuous
1. In 1904-1905 the Wright brothers -------------------(develop)their flying machine
2. John and his sister ----------(learn) about the Wright, while his aunt WORK on her computer
3. From the beginning of their aeronautical work, Wilbur and Orville ---------------(focus) on developing a reliable method of pilot control as the key to solving "the flying problem".
4. This approach --------------(differ) significantly from other experimenters of the time who put more emphasis on developing powerful engines. Using a small home-built wind tunnel, the Wrights also -------------------(collect) more accurate data than any before, enabling them to design more efficient wings and propellers.
5. When the doorbell rang, John's uncle -------------(send) an email on his computer and his cousin -----------(play)the guitar.
6. Their first U.S patent did not claim invention of a flying machine, but rather a system of aerodynamic control that ------------------(manipulate) a flying machine's surfaces
Now go to the forum session to work in groups in order to complete the decision-making task
you will need to assign roles and collaborate with each other. At the end, you are going to go through the process of peer assessment.