|Εργασία 1η (online κείμενο)
Please answer the following questions.
Figures of speech
1. "Five score years ago," the opening phrase of King's speech, is an allusion to what or whom? Why was this an appropriate and strong way for King to begin his speech?
2. King's speech contains other allusions in addition to the one with which he opens his speech. Find an allusion to the Declaration of Independence and the Bible.
3. Find an example of alliteration in King's speech.
4. Find an example of a metaphor.
5. Find an example of a simile.
6. In the second paragraph, King says that "the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination." These words bring up strong images of slavery. Why would this be an effective method of moving his audience?
7. Besides the famous "I have a dream" phrase, find two other examples of anaphoras.
8. List at least two possible effects upon King's audience of repeating the phrase, "I have a dream."
9. Nearly every line of King's speech is filled with powerful images, or "mental pictures," many created by using figures of speech. Images help audiences to feel what speakers/writers want them to feel, help them remember what they have read or heard, and help them understand difficult material. Write a well-developed paragraph telling which of King's images you find most powerful and appealing and explain why this image had meaning for you.
Relating to the Dream
10. King was assassinated for his work in civil rights. A quotation from the bible on the memorial at his gravesite reads, "Behold the dreamer. Let us slay him, and we will see what will become of his dream." What do you think has become of King's dream? Write two paragraphs: one telling in what ways the dream has been fulfilled and one telling what yet remains to be accomplished.
|Δημιουργία εργασίας με παραδοτέο ένα ή περισσότερα αρχεία
You are going to find a crossword puzzle attached.
Please do the task in hand and submit it.
You don't have to print it. You can edit and write on it, save and then upload it.